The Toyota Aygo
is a city car sold by Toyota in Europe since 2005. It is built alongside the related Citroën C1 and Peugeot 107/108 at the Toyota Peugeot Citroën Automobile Czech (TPCA) joint venture in Kolín, Czech Republic. The Aygo was first displayed at the 2005 Salon de l’Automobile de Genève. The name “Aygo” comes from “i-go”, symbolising freedom and mobility.
Toyota revealed a completely redesigned Aygo at the March 2014 Geneva Motor Show with the slogan ‘go fun yourself’. The design was attributed to Japanese youth culture, inspired by Japanese manga robot Astro Boy and an egg in a box and has aims to make the Aygo more accessible to younger drivers, and allow for a greater level of customisability.It began rolling off the production line on 27 May 2014. Models include:
- Aygo x – base model, with electric front windows, wing mirrors and daytime running lights
- Aygo x-play – in addition to ‘x’ – manual AC, Bluetooth connectivity and steering wheel controls
- Aygo x-pression – in addition to ‘x-play’ – 15 inch silver alloys, part leather seats, ‘x-touch’ seven-inch multimedia system, DAB+ radio, front fog lights and rear view reversing camera
- Aygo x-cite – (special edition) – in addition to ‘x-pression’ – 15 inch gloss black alloys and optional ‘x-nav’
- Aygo x-clusiv – (special edition) – in addition to ‘x-pression’ – 15 inch machined alloys, climate control AC, optional ‘x-nav’ and smart entry and start
- Aygo x-pure – (special edition) – in addition to ‘x-pression’ – (minus the part leather seats) comes in Pure White colour with silver trim ‘X’ and back bumper, white machined alloys and privacy glass in the back.
The Aygo also includes numerous safety features such as vehicle stability control (VSC), anti lock braking system (ABS), hill start assist control (HAC) and supplemental restraint system (SRS) with six airbags.
The refreshed second generation Aygo was unveiled at the March 2018 Geneva Motor Show.